Thursday, September 3, 2009

Assignment 1: Downtown


A few new posts on my FotoThing site for this week's assignment. ("Downtown") I am going out to shoot more for this assignment, since once I got started I have gotten way more into it than I thought I would. Strangely enough, the old Petula Clark song was going through my head most of the time - I gotta get that checked out... Anyway, I shot in black and white here, but I am thinking of doing some color stuff as well. I appologize for the 'keystoning' (converging line distortion) on the buildings in these photos, but without the swings and tilts, and whatnot of a proper view camera, my attempts at architecture are limited to the impressionistic.

7 comments:

Danyelle said...

Chuck.. It's so funny that you are talking about converging line distrortion. They all look great to me. If you didn't say anything about it, I would have thought that was what you were trying to capture in your photos.

C.M. Franke said...

I really intended to shoot some more for this set, but I got pulled away, and never got back to it. I was hoping to try some urban night-time shots, but scheduling-wise this week was tough to get anyone to come along and watch my back on the street at night. Nevertheless, I really am starting to like this type of photography!

Jerry said...

I do like the attention you paid to the repeating lines of the building.

Jerry said...

Are you using Photoshop? Straightening out vertical lines is a snap and just takes a second.

C.M. Franke said...

Actually I have been using Photoshop 7. (old, and time to upgrade to CS, I know) I have been using the rectangle marquee and rotate tool to ameliorate some of the keystoning - but I didnt want to alter them too much for the assignment. I shot most of these with a smaller Panasonic Lumix to avoid drawing too much attention in public. ( I had a bad experience with that back around the time of 9/11 and now am very conscious of being conspicuous)

KK said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
KK said...

Chuck, I wanted to go downtown at night also and try to take some pics, but I was afraid to go downtown at night:) Anyways, I just wanted to tell you that you take great pics and your comments sometimes are pretty funny.